War Room created the concept of a corporate gift matching program called Kedet Kares to support employees and clients in their personal philanthropy and charitable giving by providing a one-to-one (1:1) monetary match.
Kedet Kares Participant Eligibility
- Employees of War Room
- Employees of a War Room client on the date(s)the gift was made and registered
- Current directors of War Room on the date(s) the gift was made and registered
Charitable Organization Eligibility
Note: All organizations must be approved by Kedet Kares and must confirm compliance with program criteria in order to participate. Kedet Kares is currently focused on supporting local charitable organizations. Donations should align with supporting local organizations.
Organizations that are not Eligible
- Political organizations (partisan organizations or those supporting specific candidates or legislation).
- Religious organizations (churches, synagogues, mosques, and other houses of worship), or other organizations primarily promoting religious purposes. Other faith-based community service organizations may be considered eligible if their programs: are open to all individuals in the community regardless of religious belief; serve a secular purpose, such as food pantry, homeless shelter, or education; do not require participation in prayer, worship, or other religious activities as a condition of receiving service(s) offered; and do not use the individual donation or resulting match for religious purposes.
- Donor-advised funds, private foundations, personal trusts.
- Organizations that do not comply with Kedet Kares non-discrimination policy (for example, organizations that discriminate on the basis of a person’s race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic(s) protected by law).
- Gifts must be a tax-deductible, charitable contribution minimum of CAD $50.
- Gifts must be current contributions made directly by the Kedet Kares donor to the eligible organization from the Kedet Kares donor’s own assets. Donors may not register funds collected from others.
- Gifts must be made/donated, not merely pledged. A matching gift cannot be used to satisfy a personal pledge (for instance, a pledge of $2,000 cannot be satisfied by $1,000 from the donor and $1,000 from the Kedet Kares match).
- Gifts may be made via cash, check, debit/credit card or e-transfer. Gifts may also be made by current payment from an entity such as a personal foundation or donor advised fund if that entity has been funded solely by the eligible Kedet Kares participant (note that gifts made to such an entity cannot be matched).
- Gifts made within the calendar year must be registered by the donor by December 31st. The recipient organization must confirm receipt of a gift within 12 months of the donor registering the gift.
- Charitable contributions for religious purposes or supporting religious activities, commitments, and/or programs (such as “Bishop’s Appeal” or equivalent), service attendance/ collection basket, and so on.
- Contributions, or portions thereof, that are required and/or are not considered charitable or tax-deductible (such as event registration, ticket purchases, admission fees / “pay to play,” auction item value, and so on). Note that any non-deductible portion should be declared by the Kedet Kares donor and/or the recipient charity during the registration and confirmation processes.
- Contributions that directly or indirectly benefit the donor, his/her family, or other person designated by the donor such as:
a. Tuition or other student expenses (including books, services, fees, T&L for volunteer trips, and so on).
b. Individual, family or group membership fees/dues, including alumni dues and subscription fees.
c. Donations to a university/college athletic association that allows the donor to purchase tickets to a sporting event.
4. “Group gifts.” Each Kedet Kares donor must register his/her own contribution for matching (for example, donors cannot register donations from others and claim them as their own).
5. Charitable contributions supporting political purposes, influencing legislation, or electing candidates.
6. Bequests, insurance premiums, or contributions made through entities such as charitable remainder or lead trusts or charitable gift annuities.
7. Real estate, in-kind, or non-monetary contributions (such as services, materials, supplies, and so on).
Note: Kedet Kares reserves the right to examine and exclude organizations, gifts, and participants as it deems appropriate.
Gift Matching Process
a. Each Kedet Kares Donor may only register his or her personal donations (for instance, no “group registrations”). Registering donations made by or collected from others is prohibited.
b. Gifts made within the calendar year must be registered by the donor by the following December 31st.
c. You will need to fill out the donation matching request form and enter details such as the amount, type, and date of your gift. Note: If your donation was made for a specific purpose (such as a particular program, department, project, and so on) you may indicate that when you register for matching. To inquire or ensure how the match is used, you may follow up directly with the charitable organization.
- The recipient organization will be contacted by Kedet Kares to confirm the donation. Note that the recipient organization also must confirm compliance with eligibility criteria and program guidelines.
- Once confirmed by the organization and subsequently approved by Kedet Kares, a gift will be recorded as eligible and matched.
Matching Payment Distribution
- Gift payments are sent directly to the recipient organization.
- Payments are made on a quarterly basis unless otherwise noted
Giving Season is